The Movie

A long walk

“Yeah sure, I’ll be there in 15 minutes, just leaving home”, I said as I locked the door. It was sunny Sunday afternoon, and I was looking forward to the movie I was going to see with her. There is a lot of history between us; and not just the memorable kinds. But something did tell me, they would be sorted out for sure.

I sat in my car, and put some blaring Godsmack. I was listening to ‘Immune’.

You have come from all over the world because society has no further use for you……

I reached her house in the promised 15 minutes. She was looking pretty as ever. I told her that, but she is not the ones who took compliments too well. I ignored it.

“So how’s work going?” I asked trying to break the ice.

“Fine” she mumbled is her usual way. I put the CD I had bought for her to listen in the car, because we obviously had no similar tastes in music. ‘Teri Deewani’, a compilation of Sufi love songs. She was humming the songs all the way to the cinema hall. That’s all the conversation we had.

I hated caramel popcorn, but I always bought it because she loved it. That’s all that mattered really. And I bought it this time too.

The movie started, and she was sitting quiet. And while Ram Gopal Verma made vain attempts at scaring us, I tried in vain to make small talk. We were sitting together, watching a movie we wanted to, but we were miles apart in the real sense.

I had lost track of the movie by now, when I thought about the all times we had spent with each other, the movies, the coffees, the assignments, the parties, the good times and the hard times. She just wanted to forget all of that, but I wasn’t willing to let go.

The movie got over sooner than expected and we walked out of the hall. She had not spoken a single word. “Time pass” I said. She nodded.

We sat in the car and we listened to more Sufi songs, and while I was oblivious to all the songs that were playing she was also not enjoying her favorite songs probably.

“Bye” she said and walked away when we reached her home. I saw her walk away, but she did not look back.

While I was driving back I lit a smoke. Changed the CD back to Godsmack, and just thought about what had happened. It wasn’t going to work out, no matter how hard I tried. I am not the one she wants. There were a lot of things that led to this really, it’s no one’s fault really. I increased the volume and took a diversion, just to go for a longer solo drive. I needed time to introspect.

It was time for me to let go, forget her and move on. Some things are not meant to be, so be it. I had done what I could do possibly, I had cared for her and I had been for her when she needed someone the most. Maybe those tough times became easier for her then, but she had other things to look forward and other people to be with.

It was end of the line for us, and knowing that; I took a U turn for home. I changed the CD once again, to Teri Deewani.

When I reached home, I ejected the CD and threw it out. It was time to move on.

41 Responses to “The Movie”

Awesome Post!!!!

Man you did the right thing….
    Sometimes you have to move on and as a matter of fact thats the only thing you can do….

am I guessing the person right?

2. The BCWNo Gravatar says:

Ah! the real vineet rajan has finally stood up.

That apart, while our feelings for someone is pretty much spontaneous, we don’t necessarily have to make a fool out of ourselves about it. If someone cant reciprocate ur feelings the least thing to do is respect them. Wise choice, yours a) the movie (perhaps u needed THAT for closure; must have made you think, ‘What the Phoonk!?!’) and
    b) the moving on!

3. (((HUG)))

I know it all sweetie!!! and I am proud of u…

@prats: yes, its who you think it is.
    @bcw: you the best, i should have listened to you before
    @my friend: a hug back to you. :)

and this happened more than 3 months back.

5. TrailblazerNo Gravatar says:

Well penned feelings. Speaks more than the actual text written. :-)

6. meghanaNo Gravatar says:

whoa! I had to double check the author’s name,didnt know u cud get this senti ! good u moved on :) Shit happens,but u learn to get over it !

7. meghanaNo Gravatar says:

btw phoonk is a sad choice to watch :)

8. AparajitaNo Gravatar says:

Oh Baby!!! Tight Hug to you!! Have been there, felt that. So I know exactly how you feel. Holding on while the other person seems to have let go is quite painful. But cheers to you for finally figuring it out!!! [:-)]

9. VinniNo Gravatar says:

@meghna: it had nothing to do with the movie! LOL

10. VenkatNo Gravatar says:

I went to that goddamned movie with your ex (ex-bhabhi i mean ;D).. we ended up having more conversation than in a coffee shop! Wat a wasted attempt at horror!
    Having said that, ROCKING post dude.. hit me really hard!

11. Vinni CousinNo Gravatar says:

So proud of you my little bro..calls for you to go out and have some fun
    relationship(s)..nothing too heavy

12. Fiction? Fact? Delusion or dope?

I’m sorry if your moving narration is indeed a real tale.

Otherwise too, I’m impressed with SDK’s sensitive writer side too.

But you know what they say… It ain’t over until it’s over!

13. P.S. After reading the post - the pic in the post makes a real lot sense.

@aprajita: a big hug to you too!
    @venkat: stay away from my ex
    @cuz: family is all we got right? no relationships now.
    @shailesh: i have an intense side too! and the pic makes a lot more sense if you look into it longer.

15. GayatriNo Gravatar says:

Sometimes moving on is the only sane option. This post was a total suprise after the buttercup one :-)
    Nice!

16. shaifaliNo Gravatar says:

moving on is tough..from any rlationship at all where you have spent a good deal of time and memories together.
    a very well written post..

17. SudhaNo Gravatar says:

Well written.. Cud feel the pain. Feeling of “Been there , done that.” But u did all u cud and dats all matters !

18. TrailblazerNo Gravatar says:

@shailesh
    Spot on about the picture making sense in light of what has been written.

@buttercup: i have a softer side too!
    @sudha: thats for visiting my blog, do subscribe and keep coming often. i will surprise you.

20. PsNo Gravatar says:

Awwww Vinnni.
    You should have given me the CD. :P I LOVE ‘teri deewani’ :-)
    On a more seriuos note-Very nicely written. I Loved this post.
    Cheers
    preeti

21. VinniNo Gravatar says:

@preeti: coming from you it means a lot, especially because u are so kanjoos with compliments!

22. TitoNo Gravatar says:

Well, once a mad woman said,

“It is not easy to live with things that do not fall in line with your ideologies, but at least one can choose to accept the differences. Maybe we can’t find solutions all the time and its best to part ways”

You have no idea how much truly I loved this post.

23. NataschaNo Gravatar says:

I guess you should hibernate for sometime and come in intervals with such breathtakingly beautiful works.

MUAH!

thanks tito! i am happy that you liked it as much as i liked writing it.
    @natascha, i love you.

25. rahulNo Gravatar says:

bro…u were too good with the words….feel sorry for u the way it happened….the tide of ur relationship took a steep u turn….but u know life just moves on….so don worry u’ll find some1 better and 1 who loves godsmack’d teri diwani 2….

26. i know this may sound a bit weird considerin the topic of ur post..but awesome post…i really felt the pain…subtle but very very hard hitting..

and as an unbiased judge - u probably made the right call!!!

27. You went with her to watch Phoonk? breakup to hona hi tha! Whos idea is to watch Phoonk on a date!

But, I feel your pain. Breakup sucks!

28. VinniNo Gravatar says:

:) so many people care about me? :D

29. MeghnaKNo Gravatar says:

it certainly was time..

BTW< long time….remember me??

30. PreranaNo Gravatar says:

nice post… liked the last line !!!

31. HarguneetNo Gravatar says:

Damn man never knew you were so intense and all. Chill yaar shit happens. Trust me jo bhi hota hai ache ke liye hi hotaa hai.

32. VinniNo Gravatar says:

gunny, thats what everyone says! it takes time to everyone one of us!

33. rmNo Gravatar says:

awesome post vinni…

i don know why but wat you described was so real, i almost feel like i’ve gone through it myself..

am sure one day u’ll look back at urself with pride, at the maturity you showed for taking that call :)

i dont know about maturity. but i certainly dont have any regrets!

35. MeghaNo Gravatar says:

hey vini!

such a pleasant surprise to see this sensitive side of u.
    I dunno if you remember it but reading it took me back to that conversation we had..over coupla drinks on the lower deck of that weirdo cruise we all took in Goa..
    That was surprise part I for me and this one is the sequel.
    You write really well..this was such a sincere and heart warming post.

36. VinniNo Gravatar says:

megha, refresh my memory. what did we talk about? :)

rach: thanks for dropping by. ur first comment on the blog!

38. barathNo Gravatar says:

Cud feel the narration in the story!!! Yeah life moves on… Nomatter what happens… Glad that that he could leave things out….

39. SaberaNo Gravatar says:

Wow! Never knew you had this side to you dude! I like the simple way you’ve said how you felt. Moving on is tough and I’ve always marveled at how easily men can do it. Like you said - all it came down to you was to take a long drive to clear your head, throw out the CD to get closure, and that’s it! you’ve moved on!

I wish I did it this way too (when I was forced to move on - unwillingly). So much lesser mess. Good post!

thanks sabs and welcome back to my blog! :) moving on is easy when u want to, and know u can. not otherwise!