The Kid in Us

I haven’t shaved for a month now and have a thick beard. It’s not the sexiest of sights; I don’t want to shave it either. It keeps reminding me of what I have grown up into. Notice the choice of words.

I am a smug face

I was browsing through some of the old family snaps, and I can’t believe, it was me. I had a stuffed dog when I was a year old. It was called ‘assa nai’ (pee dog in English). Yeah, it was a cute pink dog without a nose, one eye and a half eaten ear. Pee dog also served as an emergency download service, hence the name. I miss him.

Me and with aunty and the pee dog

Me and with aunty and the pee dog

I was a milk freak. Whenever my mom tried to put me to sleep, I would always go, ‘paal kuduchuttu toongaporen’ (I’ll go to sleep after drinking milk). Mom soon became smart, and all I got when I asked for milk was water flavored with milk. I mean one should not have 5 liters of milk in a day in any case.
I was very fond of eating raw vegetables. I used to pull out all the vegetables and nibble on them to no end. You could call me a pure vegetarian then. Now, I’ll eat anything that moves or used to move. Here’s a photo for proof - I was vegetarian once.

I am eating vegetables

Eating vegetables. (Proof)

As a kid I was also good at poetry. I was 3 years old then. Listen to this.

chanda mama paalu,
Chanda mama paten,
Bayande ponnne,
Nanna irruke

Which translates to

Oh! Look at the moon,
Yeah! I saw the moon,
I got very scared
I’m ok, I was spared.

I was a talker. I used to talk for hours with my uncle. After a while my throat would go all dry and I would need some water. I would tell my uncle – “You keep talking, I’ll be right back after having some water”. My poor uncle would have no option, not even to run or hide.

I liked to mop and sweep the floor as a kid. I would end up using all the washed clothes including towels to make the floor shine. We had a maid servant but I was a weird kid.
Have you noticed some of the newly borns these days. I feel so sorry for them when I look at the things they wear. One little girl, perhaps not more than 2 years old (and not too fair) was wearing this bright pink dress. But nothing comes close to the boy who was wearing a shirt with mirrors and his elastic trousers read: ‘Mummy’s Boy’.

Things just went wrong after that!

I look at myself in the mirror now, and ask myself: What the heck went wrong!

When I look at my childhood snaps, I am so grateful to my parents. I still wear mostly blue or white.
I remember my brother used to read a lot of comics. He would often laugh out loud. I was two years old then and all I could understand was that you’re supposed to laugh at comics. So when my brother was not around, I would be flipping pages and laughing out loud. I just thought it was cool. My brother soon caught me and the story is still a legend in the household. I still feel weird when I read comics; I just make sure I laugh genuinely.

We were all cute and innocent once, and then biological clock just goes wild. They say, there’s a kid in every one of us. I only wonder who put it inside us in the first place? Once in a while we should all let go and stop acting like adults! So what’s yours story?

You could also read

21 Comments

• By Sachin, May 5, 2021 @ 8:05 am

ur post makes me nostalgic about my childhood …….
    i remember me, my bro and my dad playing cricket together……….it was fun……….

• By Nikhil Narayanan, May 5, 2021 @ 1:15 pm

Nice post da.
    Something everyone can relate to.

• By Divkiran, May 5, 2021 @ 8:25 pm

Awwwwwwww!!!
    Nice one Vinni…unexpected specially after the last post… he hehe
    Well its really sweet n u look so damn cute in the pics… Childhood no doubt is the very best time of our lives… Wish I could stay that ways for the rest of my life… no tension, no pretence, no inhibtions, no prejudices, nthing at all :)

Once again, lovely post

• By Nitu, May 6, 2021 @ 2:12 am

U r making my day nostalgic..Good innocent childhood..paradise lost :(

• By Anu, May 6, 2021 @ 6:02 am

Very very sweet :) …really enjoyed reading this one and remembering my childhood too. The pics are even more fun!

• By vinni, May 6, 2021 @ 6:15 am

@divkiran, u just wait. angel is going to strike back very soon! oh then there will be fireworks!

• By Poli, May 6, 2021 @ 12:41 pm

So after getting us to bash his MCP fundas, Vinni wants us to go Awww.. ;) So here you have it Awwwwwwwwwwwwww….
    Interesting to see Vinni the Vegetarian, who used his stuffed dog as a porta-potty :) But how come no stories about your gullibility? :D I heard you had loads of it. But seriously speaking, really made me nostalgic. And you dont worry about losing your childhood.. As they say, boys will always be boys. ;)

• By Archana, May 6, 2021 @ 1:28 pm

Well.. u had a thing for dogs from then..
    they have been a constant companions.. well stuffed or real ones..

i liked ur expression in the first pic.. :) so cute

• By Prats, May 6, 2021 @ 7:04 pm

Oh i so wish that I could post a similar post… but I dont have the snaps with me right now…:-(

You are the only one who would believe me apart from my ex girl friend that I also used to be a cute kid.

• By Gayatri, May 7, 2021 @ 5:22 am

Awww.. I had an imaginary playmate called Moti! Loved her..

haven’t spoken to her some years now. Miss her sometimes :(

• By Friends with Rajan, May 7, 2021 @ 5:41 am

Damn cute pics… u are a really weird kid…
    pee dog!!!! mannnnnn!!!

keep tat veggie foto for the rest of your life.. u ain’t gonna get another one ever!! [:P]

• By Ketan, May 7, 2021 @ 6:24 am

I noticed, you almost always had something in your mouth.

Nice post mate!

• By JANE, May 7, 2021 @ 6:38 am

it’s like the perfect antidote after the ivy poison.. :)

neverthless, the pictures are so darn cute, that one forgets what an mcp you were in ya earlier post- where did this lil’ kid with a piss-dawg run away while writing the last post ;);)

i used to monkey around with a monkey as a kid- the first guy who slept with me :) he still lives in my room in oman.. i guess ma dad, who is in oman even today, looks at him, when he thinks of me :)

veggie wen ya were young, now ya eat nethyn thta ‘used to move’ haaaaa..we’re in the same league man!!

a full-GROWN beard reminds ya of what ya’ve GROWN into..
    the razor is at ya disposal, ya can still shave yarself clean off things; just the same way, things are in our hands, what we grow in2 is wat we choose ourselves to grow into.. :)

• By Vinni, May 7, 2021 @ 6:39 am

@poli: you have not heard the last of me yet. i used to hate ur guts then, i hate it still! i shall strike back with vengeance!

thanks u guys!

• By Poornima, May 7, 2021 @ 12:39 pm

even smarter!

• By angana, May 7, 2021 @ 11:57 pm

such an interesting post.. we were really “cute” as children, though! heeheehe :P
    become pretty much monsters now!
    i was less than 3 yrs and mumma says that i used to grab my sister’s school text book and start screaming “ablaaabaaablaa erahtuwjhjf” proving to everyone that i was able to read english too!! .. such a kiddo!

• By Nikhil, May 8, 2021 @ 3:48 am

Absolutely love your site! I bumped into it by mistake, and boy am I glad !! :)
    This post is filled with honesty and innocence… I like the way u write, even admire it! :D
    Count me in as a regular!

• By Barath, May 8, 2021 @ 9:29 am

We were all cute and innocent once, and then biological clock just goes wild.

and that was a nalla poem.

Hope the Kavigan in u is still there
    Me going nostalgic

• By Shruti Nautiyal, June 24, 2021 @ 1:46 pm

I’m all teary-eyed. Thanks to this post. I remember, as a kid I kept weird names for my body parts. For example:

Earlobe: Moon-moon
    Tummy: Haaye haaye
    Water: Pum-pum

and the funniest was,
    Nipples: Tick-tick

(Came across your blog by chance. Very nice one. Kabhi aana tum meri gully :-P )

• By PoojaBrahmi, November 12, 2020 @ 8:15 am

Hey Vinni,

I liked the last picture the most. Some of my fondest memories of me when I was a child “I used to bump into anybody’s wedding in our locality” Wud roam around and savor icecream and wud come back home happily. Mind it I never got caught! I was a confident child you c;)

• By Bhavya, July 3, 2021 @ 2:22 am

Where is this kid….
    who used to drink only milk,
    who used to like eating raw vegetables

Can u find him for me ?